Wondering what to stock up on before your new one arrives? Here are 10 new mom must haves!
Hi friend! Are you expecting a baby?! Or have a friend or family member with a babe on the way? CONGRATS! Babies are blessings for sure. They are squishy and cuddly and oh so cute. I am prepping for baby number 3 right now and kind of starting over. There is 5 years between my youngest and the new babe. I tossed or donated a majority of the baby stuff we had. So I thought I’d share what I stocked up on and why.
The affilate links provided below are for items I have personally used or will use in the future.
- Bassinet – With my first two I thought I HAD to have a crib ready to go before they got home. Turns out, neither used it much the first few months. Plus, if you plan on nursing it’s nice to have the baby close in a bassinet. I recommend the Rock and play or the HALO Bassinest. The Rock and Play is portable so it’s nice to have and move from bedroom to living room to kitchen, as needed. The HALO Bassinest is perfect for keeping the baby close at night. I am going to be doing a full review on it soon, so be sure to check back!
- Swaddles – I was afraid of swaddles with my first two babes. I’m not sure why, but it seemed hard to wrap them into baby burritos. I bought some aden + anais brand swaddles to try this time around. They have adorable prints and are lightweight.
- Breastpump – If you plan on breastfeeding I think the Medela pump in style starter kit is a MUST. Pumping will allow you some time away from baby, it will help increase your supply and make switching to bottles easier. Double check with your insurance because sometimes you can get a breast pump free!
- Nursing pillow – Again, if nursing, I think a Boppy or Hen nursing pillow are must haves. They keep babies head supported when they are newborns and can be used for tummy time when they are a little older.
- Bottles – I don’t like washing bottles so I highly recommend the Playtex drop-ins. They are like take and toss bottles for babies. Plus, they have a few different bottles and nipples to pick from.
- Burp clothes – One thing that you are going to need a bunch of are burp clothes. I LOVE homemade ones. (My sister in law made me some!) If you aren’t able to do handmade I suggest the aden + anais burpy bib or Gerber cloth diapers. I know it may sound weird to suggest cloth diapers as burp rags but they are super absorant and inexpensive. Perfect for wiping up little baby messes!
- Infant car seat – I hear all the time “I don’t know what car seat to pick!” And to be honest, I didn’t either. My mom did a lot of research before my first was born and we used the Chicco travel system. I loved it and recommend it to every new mom. I am using one for the new baby but I also have a Baby Jogger infant seat that will go in my moms car.
- Swing – Some babies LOVE to be in a swing and some could care less. My daughter loved it and my son wasn’t a big fan. I decided not to get a swing just yet but I have my eye on the 4Moms mamaroo swing. It can go any direction and is cool looking!
- Baby carrier – I love babywearing and always tell moms if they want to get anything done with a fussy baby – they need a carrier! I have a Moby wrap and an Ergo with infant insert. The Moby was from my second baby and I was able to buy the Ergo on Craigslist. I should put a disclaimer that if you are able to buy second hand – DO IT! It will save you SO MUCH MONEY!
- Diapers – This time around we are jumping into the world of cloth diapering. It sounds weird, but I am super excited! I was able to buy a bunch of Trend lab cloth diapers on Zulily fairly cheap. I also bought some second hand from a friend as well. (I’ll do a review of them soon as well!) Honest diapers are a great alternative if you don’t want to cloth diaper. Bonus – they have a mail order system so you never run out of diapers!
Of course there are other things that you may want to have on hand when baby arrives. Pacifiers, newborn outfits, wipes, calming baby wash, baby nail clippers, a crib. The list can go on and on. My suggestions are:
- Start early – After I found out I was pregnant I started buying one package of wipes every time I went to the grocery store. I have a huge stash of wipes now and I didn’t even notice the extra $2 at checkout.
- Shop second hand – Find out if you have a baby resale store near you or check Craigslist. Ask friends who have had kiddos before you were they shop or if they would like to sell some of their things. The more you can buy second hand, the better!
- Browse daily deal sites – I love checking Zulily for baby stuff. They have an easy to use app and some really good deals. Just check shipping. Sometimes it is pricey!
- Register online – Even if you aren’t having a baby shower, I suggest creating a baby registry anyways. People are always looking for what gifts they can send a new mom, so make it easy for them! Amazon, Toys R Us and Target are just a few places you can make one.
What would you add to a new mom must have list? What did you think you HAD to have but never used? I’d love to hear!