One thing that really irks me is when fresh produce goes bad before I’m able to use it. I try my best to use it up before it gets to that point but sometimes it just doesn’t happen. We have a compost pile out back so my sad wilted produce goes out there. I was about to take two little bananas to the compost one day when I decided against it. I would turn them into something despite their blackened state. So I whipped up some bananas foster French toast and saved the day.
I know what you’re thinking. And no, I didn’t have rum for breakfast. Real bananas foster has rum and banana liquor added to the mix. I didn’t think it was breakfast appropriate [even though I know it cooks down] so I skipped it. What I didn’t skip was the chance to taste the spoon while the banana fosters was boiling. Yup, I licked a hot spatula. And it was so worth it.
Can we just talk about this bread before I go on and on [and on] about the bananas? This is my first ever homemade white bread. I made that myself! And it was amazing before it was French toast so you know it was even better after. Making bread sort of scares me but I used Annie’s Eats best white bread recipe and it was easy. [Seriously!]
Now back to the banana topping. Yes, I licked a hot spatula. I had to taste test the recipe. I’ve made this before and wanted to make sure it was right. [It was.] So while the sugar and butter were bubbling with the mashed bananas I dipped the spatula in and took a quick taste. Then I had to patiently wait for the French toast to be done before I could devour it. And that’s exactly what happened. And that’s how two over ripe bananas saved the day.
- For the Toast -
- 6 slices of bread of choice
- 5 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- For the Bananas Foster -
- 4 tbs butter
- 2 tbs brown sugar
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- toasted coconut, optional
- For the toast -
- Mix your eggs, vanilla and cinnamon in a bowl.
- Dip a piece of bread into the mix coating both sides and add it to a hot fry pan.
- Cook until lightly browned on each side.
- Repeat for remaining pieces of bread.
- In a small saucepan melt your butter and sugar.
- Add your mashed bananas to the pan.
- Bring to a slight boil, stirring regularly, and let simmer for about 1 minute.
- Remove from heat.
- Add your bananas foster mix on top of your French toast, top with coconut and enjoy!
Want more spatula licking good recipes? Try:
And be sure to sign up for our emails and get two FREE ingredient substitution printables!