If you are looking for an extra cheesy vegetable soup, you’ve found it!
Hey yall! Oh my goodness am I excited! Two reasons. First, the baby is sleeping sweetly right next to me in bed. Which is cause enough for celebration, am I right?! But the second reason I am SO EXCITED is that it is starting to feel like fall! (I wish I had emijos on my laptop because I would put a leaf one, a pumpkin one, another leaf one and the little guy with his hands in the air. Just imagine they are there. Thank you!)
The past two days it has been in the 70s in the morning! Let’s not talk about the fact that it warms up to 90 in the afternoon. Focus on the beautiful crisp fall-like mornings! (That’s what I do.)
I got a little extra the first day it was nice out. I told myself “Self, you should take the kids to the park after school. Because it’s sooooo nice out right now.” So after school we headed to the park and after 15 minutes the kids were red faced and sweaty from the 90 degree heat that had crept in. (Not to mention the humidity.)
I feel like there are two camps when it comes to soups – either broth-y or super creamy and extra delicious. This cheesy vegetable soup falls into the second camp. Cheesy and delicious and perfect for fall weather! (Or fall-ish weather if you live in South Texas like we do.)
And to be honest – this soup is really broccoli cheese soup with extra veggies. (Which I’m thinking means it’s better for you, no?) Extra broccoli first and then some taters, carrots and celery. All topped with over 2 cups of cheese! If you were looking for fall comfort food, you’ve found it!
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 3-4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups potatoes, cut into cubes
- 4 cups broccoli heads
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 5 tablespoons of flour
- 3 cups of milk
- 1 cup of heavy cream
- 2 cups of sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- ½ cup of Parmesan cheese, shredded
- parsley and extra cheese for topping
- In a large stock pot melt 1 tablespoon of butter over medium heat. Add in the onion, carrots, celery and garlic. Cook 3-4 minutes or until onions are translucent and soft.
- Add in the chicken broth, potatoes, and spices (thyme, salt, pepper and garlic powder). Stir together and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and allow to cook for 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are almost softened. Add in the broccoli and continue to cook for 5 more minutes.
- While the potatoes and broccoli is cooking, melt the 5 tablespoons of butter in a separate pan. Mix in the flour and allow to cook for up to a minute. Slowly whisk in the heavy cream and allow to thicken. Pour in the milk, allow to cook for 1-2 minutes and then remove from heat.
- Add in the cheeses in and stir until combined. Pour into the vegetables in the stock pot and mix well.
- Sprinkle with additional cheese and parsley.
Like this post? Be sure to check out: